September 18, 2007

Buttermilk Chocolate Cake

FIRST OFF, let me start by saying this is sincerely one of my MOST treasured recipes. My family got this recipe from one of the best known cooks of my home ward growing up. When the ward would have bake sales, Maria's cakes would fretch 3 figures they are just that super incredible - no kidding. Our family jokes that we'd do anything for Maria's food :) Anyway, after family debate we decided it was okay to share but only if you praise & thank Maria when you take the first bite!

Boil the 4 ingredients below in a saucepan for 1 minute...

1/2 C. margarine
1/2 C. shortening
1 C. water
4 T. Cocoa

Sift into a bowl:

2 C. flour
2 C. sugar

Pour chocolate mixture over sugar/flour mixture and beat together (for awhile until it's nice and creamy). Add 1/2 C. Buttermilk, 1 tsp soda and 1/2 tsp salt. Mix again and then add 2 eggs and 1 1/2 vanilla.

Bake at 325 degrees for 35 - 45 mins (or until the middle is cooked) 9x13.

Frosting:

1 stick margarine
5 T. buttermilk
3 1/2 T. cocoa

Boil the above ingredients (careful don't burn it) then pour over 1 1/2 lbs powdered sugar (I think that is about 1 full bag of powdered sugar). Add 1 tsp vanilla and mix really well. Add desired amounts of nuts and coconut. Pour over warm cake, frost and eat it up. This is the best when it's warm and gooey. If it gets cold, seriously microwave and eat - and SO good with vanilla ice cream! I swear every time I eat this I hear the mo-tab singing or something...I LOVE IT! Next time I make it, I'll stick a picture on here to go with the recipe.

Jody

No comments: